Thank you for working with Hometap. While we navigate the changes in business practices resulting from our collective efforts to contain the Coronavirus, we’ll keep the below information as updated as possible to answer any questions and concerns you may have about your Hometap Investment. We remain committed to working with every interested homeowner and adjusting processes as needed. With that in mind, here are the things we are seeing that you should be aware of:
- If you have not already, we encourage you to complete your application given that we expect the investment process may take a bit longer than usual.
- The work we do behind the scenes to complete your application might take longer, especially if your county does not have electronic records (this is because things like researching the title requires a person to visit a registry or land court and some of these are closed)
- The appraisal companies we work with have adopted strict protocols for conducting appraisals including: health and travel checks, social distancing, and/or wearing gloves as necessary.
- You should take steps to ensure a safe and efficient appraisal: turn on all light switches, open all of the doors and faucets for your appraiser. In addition, provide easy access to difficult to reach places like attics and unfinished basements.
- That said, there is a LOT of demand for appraisals and because we use independent third parties, we expect that it may take longer for appraisals to be completed.
- In counties where shelter in place orders have been enacted, appraisals have been paused (thinking of you Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, Santa Clara, San Francisco, and San Mateo - as of now.) - we will notify you ASAP once we can get those scheduled.
There are two considerations in scheduling a closing. The first is whether you can sign, and the other is whether we can record (file with the county) the documents. We need both to happen in order to have a successful closing and fund your investment.
- In counties where we can have you sign the documents electronically with an online notary and we can record the documents online, we should be good to go. (We wish more counties supported both of these options for homeowners.)
- In counties where we aren’t able to do a signing either virtually or in person (shelter in place) we’ll work with you to reschedule.
- In counties where we can’t record online and the recording offices are not open, we’ll work with you to reschedule.
If there are any concerns not addressed here, you can always contact your Investment Manager. We’re here to make the process as smooth and seamless as possible.
You can check back here for any updates as they unfold.