Labor Day, the last holiday weekend of summer, is a great excuse to host the neighbors for a final celebratory barbecue. And while we’re always a fan of entertaining, prepping for a party also can serve as a catalyst to address any problem areas around your property. We’ve rounded up expert tips for outdoor entertaining and maintenance this Labor Day. Check them out and you’ll be both a welcoming host and a responsible homeowner.
First Things First: Outdoor Party Prep
- From clearing walkways to pest-proofing your entertaining area, these 12 ways to get your backyard barbecue-ready from the team at She Knows ensure your outdoor space will be prepped and welcoming to guests.
- Use your upcoming party as a catalyst to make long-desired outdoor improvements, say the home experts at INSTALL-IT-DIRECT. Their “17 Quick, Pre-party Backyard Fixes” cover edging your lawn, hiding ugly fixtures with plants and fencing, setting up a mini sound system, and more.
- Planning early fall barbecues after Labor Day? Get a jump on your next outdoor party with tips from Houzz. Their to-do list starts a month before the barbecue—with tasks like assessing outdoor furniture and cleaning your grill—and goes right up to the day of the get-together.
- After the party ends, your patio, deck, and lawn may be in rough shape. Tackle post-party messes, including removing wine stains from your deck, with BuildDirect’s “How to Clean Up after Your Outdoor Party” blog post.
- Not sure how to tackle the post-party cleanup? With “A Smarter Way to Clean Up after Your Big Party,” Jolie Kerr with The New York Times has an order of operations on what to do once your guests head home. (Caveat: This story was written for Christmas parties, but the tips apply to any house party.)
- If your party is big and you’re thinking you might want to outsource your post-party cleanup, check out Reilly Sweeping, Inc.’s “5 Things to Consider before Hiring a Special Event Cleanup Crew.”
Watch the Pros at Work
- Get your yard ready for your Labor Day get-together with Simple Green’s “How to Clean Your Backyard for a Party” video.
- Prep for your barbecue step by step with The Unfrumpy Mommy Life’s “End of Summer Backyard Party Planning Tips” video.
- Keep bugs away from your food and drinks with AtHome’s “Keep Bugs at Bay” video, part of its “Outdoor Dining Hacks: Prep for Your Patio Party” series.
Here’s to enjoying every last drop of summer outside while we can!